Monday, August 11, 2008

Somebody Asked.......

A very nice person asked me an 'Indian' question the other day that I had no answer for. What was the reason for the 'Indian Head Test Pattern' on the old over-the-air channels? Since I didn't know either, along with being endlessly curious about everything and wanting to answer my friend's query, I did some checking. Although it doesn't fully explain why an Indian image was utilized, this is the most useful information I found without devoting an entire day to the research. It seems it must've been chosen for its easy recognition factor along with the image clarity.
"Probably the most famous American B&W test pattern is the so-called "Indian Head" monoscope pattern. This pattern was originated by RCA in 1939; it was designed to be generated using a special tube called a monoscope, a CRT which had a metal plate target on which the pattern was printed. The black lines of the pattern would interrupt current flow as the pattern was scanned to provide the desired video output. These tubes could only handle black and white - no shades of gray hence they had to be simulated either with a halftone dot pattern or with patterns of fine lines." (thanks to Darren Meldrum of the UK)

This 'Indian Head' is very familiar to yours truly though. It can be found fashioned by road-building TNT use along our main thoroughfare. Yup! That's the most traveled road through these parts, and the one in best shape overall. It's even a US Route # road. (photo courtesy SWMBO)

Any and all additional information pertaining to either of these images is always welcome. Until next time, stay well and take care.

4 comments:

tweetey30 said...

That was neat seeing the moutain side with the face. So neat. I have never been to where you live but wish to travel some day.

Muhd Imran said...

Looking at the photo first without reading your post, I couldn't figure out what the picture was about.

But then I am amazed at the formation that looks like an Indian profile once I found it. Cool!

tshsmom said...

LOL, I had to Google a picture of test pattern to show my kids. They had no idea what my Mom was talking about when she told them that I watched test pattern as a small child. ;)

MissKris said...

My parents were from New Hampshire and they had old photos of the Old Man in the Mountain up around Laconia Notch...is that correct? That's the name that seems to have stuck with me, anyway. Funny how Nature's rock formations can take on identities of their own, isn't it?