Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just For Fun

One evening last month I was idly poking about in different parts of the Internet when I happened upon some photos of something that evoked old memories of my years in Japan. Manhole covers! Actually, they're not all technically 'man'hole covers as some are quite small. One thing they have in common is that they're just one more place artistic flair can be found in that enigmatic country.

And yes, that last one is exactly what you might think, a fire hydrant access. The Japanese put their fire hook-ups under the pavement. This was done to unclutter the streets and cut costs, despite howls from the 'dog lobby'. Lord help any driver so unwary as to park over one of these as the tow is quick, efficient, and costly. Fire safety is taken very seriously there. Until something resembling actual thoughts enter my head, take care and thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

reeflightning said...

how much more interesting than plain old metal!wish they would do that over here in the uk.

Syd said...

oooh, I love that!

jmsjoin said...

That is pretty neat! We could do that and in many instances make things more more pleasant to look at but with us it is all about money.

Kay said...

Mike, this is so neat. When we were in Japan a year and a half ago, my brother kept taking photos of the different manhole covers, too. They are really artistic. We didn't get to see any with color, however. Since we'll be going to Japan in a few months, I'm going to look for these colored ones. It's so pretty.

tweetey30 said...

Those are really cool. Thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

Mike S said...

I've been thinking of doing just that. Time constraints have caused my blog posting to take a back seat for some time now:-)

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

R. C. said...

Hey Mr. Anonymous Said,

Good day to you too.

Since you have so much income from investments. I could use a little...I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today..

Don't count on that Tuesday date, I predict I will be short of funds by then. Panhandling has been quite insufficient lately..:o)

KimonoKaren said...

I never miss the opportunity to stare at my feet while walking around in Japan. The details are everywhere and if you blink, you miss something good like these everyday objects. Just one of the things I adore about my every day life here in Japan. I just hope I have taken enough pictures myself to keep those memories alive for a long time!

cecily said...

Beautiful :-)

I photographed quite a few when we were in Europe a couple of years ago, but they have nothing on these ones.