Sunday, January 04, 2009

But it's SO HARD to do........

Some more unsolicited advice, offered in good conscience by The Old Indian. This is offered as a reminder for those who, like myself, make resolutions and find them too difficult to keep if tackled all at once. This little piece has helped me keep a few in the past. After trying to follow the advice for years and still failing time after time, I added this to my daily routine. A copy clipped from a paper and long ago turned brittle resides in my diabetes test meter case and gets read every morning as I wait for the test results to appear on the readout window. While not a perfect solution, I find that in keeping with the advice theme, this works best for me if taken in a small 'once daily' dose. It also seems that this is about the time each year that it's really needed as a reminder. Good luck!!

(Adapted by Pauline Phillips (Dear Abby) from the original credo of Al-Anon)

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer. JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself. JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily -- if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

I sincerely hope anyone seeking to effect changes in their life will find it of some help. Seems some of my 'Blog Staffers' have already gotten off to good start on their resolutions.

Until next time, take care and be well.

15 comments:

Jean said...

I've always liked the "Just for Today" piece and appreciate being reminded of it today.

Anonymous said...

YADDA YADDA YADDA

deanna said...

What a good way to start the first *business* day of the year. Thanks, Mike, I needed it.

reeflightning said...

thanks mike ... wise words need to be remembered on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

OH BROTHER...

Mike S said...

R.C.....do I detect a touch of 'New Year's' hostility? FREE ale & conversation at Chez Injun. (note the emphasis on 'FREE')

Anonymous said...

HUMPH!

Sandy said...

Oh Mike, this got me chuckling; thanks for the laugh. I love the bitch one, I think I'll put that on my forehead!

Mike S said...

R.C....do you need medical help??? Passing up FREE ANYTHING??? So unlike you, T.C., & your gang!! I'm worried for you! Honest!! Will hold some ale & pizza aside for you.

Anonymous said...

I can't be bought. Not that cheaply anyway....

Kay said...

Ahhhh Mike! This is excellent! Just what I needeed.

OK... one day at a time. I'll try.

Anonymous said...

I love these - such a good reminder that resolutions can be a bit of an overkill although I did actualy make one....(see blog for details..)

Anonymous said...

I love these - such a good reminder that resolutions can be a bit of an overkill although I did actualy make one....(see blog for details..)

Cherie said...

For one year, one week, one day - one of those MUST be do-able, eh.

I quit making resolutions years ago. I like the song lyrics, "There are days to fall and days to rise, days of making haste. Days of seeking out yourself, but no days you can waste."

The 'best' for each day varies - so I try to be easy on myself. But I do remember, no days to waste.

Thanks for this - ya got me thinking! (I'll be over soon for the free ale and conversation - yes, just inviting myself.......; )

Unknown said...

I loved the "to-do list for the first week of January".